Vol 1, No 2 (2000)

Fall


Cover Page

Mercantile Library Association of the City of New York, ca. 1891. Opened on November 9, 1891, the building was erected on the site of the former Italian Opera House (also known as the Astor Place Opera House) which had served as the Librarys home from 1853 until it was deemed inadequate for the Librarys growing collection. The building was sold in 1930. In the 1990s the first floor was occupied by a Starbucks coffee shop, which was named after a character in Herman Melvilles Moby Dick. (Courtesy of the Mercantile Library Association of New York.)